Mulling

Since coming to Scotland, I've been in a state of perpetual wonder.

Okay, not completely perpetual, but perpetual enough that I can say that the overwhelming sensation of the last two months has been wonder. For example:


St. Anthony's chapel in Edinburgh

Dunnotar Castle in Stonehaven

It just keeps getting better. If it weren't that all my family and most of my friends are in a different country, I would never ever want to leave this place. I think I would be content visiting home every so often and living here for the rest of my life. But I've only been here two months so that desire may change, and I really hope it does because I can't stay here.

When I write on this blog, I usually write something that has only just happened, so though the event is fresh in my memory, it's laden with my feeling in the moment and untempered by hindsight, and thus often misrepresents reality.

So, to correct previous statements or implications...

The graveyard is far from being the only grassy place in Aberdeen for a little rabbit to live. There are numerous parks, both children's play areas and walking or sports parks, houses with gardens, random areas on the side of the roads, and there are many, many graveyards.

Furthermore, postcards are all over the place here. I just wasn't looking in the right spots earlier.

I have to read for longer than three hours a day, but I kind of saw that coming, and you probably did too. Still, I generally don't work on Sunday, and can take another day off once in a while.

The food I cooked that one day (the chicken and leek pie and the cookies) was awesome! I don't know what was wrong with me that night, but I thoroughly enjoyed those for the rest of the week!

Time will tell what other nonsense I've said.

Like a good pot roast, I need time to stew. (Sorry for the silly simile; I couldn't resist.) Not just over my daily adventures, but over ideas . Trying to process huge portions of important literature and the huge ideas they contain overwhelms me and, though I enjoy it and would not choose to be doing anything else with my life right now, I feel like I'm barely tasting the crust of all I could be learning. Next term, I'm going to try to write my way through everything I read, because that's how I really learn, but it's too late to start that this term.

Today and yesterday were spent deciding on topics for essays and presentations. I came up with two which, thankfully, were approved tonight. If I'd been given topics, I could have finished both projects in the time it took me to pick the focus! Okay, I'm exaggerating. But, it was a very stressful process, and I still have to establish another topic for another class tomorrow. At least I have an idea for it that's been simmering for a while.

Busy weekend ahead; tomorrow's a ceilidh.

So many words, but I haven't said what I really wanted to say... and that is... mmm.... nope. It's not coming out tonight.

Don't worry, it's not a big secret, and I'm not in love. I know that's what some of you were thinking. It's just about faith and the deep pain of division in Christ's body. That's what's really simmering, and what I can't seem to get out or get past. But... maybe another night.

-Kavod-

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The funny thing is that I wasn't suspecting you were going to say "in love". I was actually waiting to read your thoughts on orthodoxy. So I guess I know you you pretty well, Friend :) ~Sarie

Courtney Patrice said...

Oh, that's awesome! I love feeling understood! Thanks, friend.

Jessie said...

Lookie, we have ourselves a little community here! :-D

*I* was DEFINITELY expecting you to be in love . . . what are romantic literary trips abroad for if not for that?? :-P

I really love reading your adventures, and I love that we can still be connected even though we're in different countries. I think definitely that whenever we end up back on the same continent, we will both be very different -- but I'm pretty sure we'll both be enough the same that we'll still be friends. More interesting friends, even. :-D Probably it will still be awkward for the first twenty minutes, but then we'll get over it and probably have to talk for three days without stopping just to get caught up.

I'm glad you're my friend . . . (should I join the trend and add the word "friend" again as a title instead of a regular noun? :-P)