Culinary Endeavors...

I can't cook like my mom can. But I try sometimes.

Today I spent the whole afternoon baking and cooking. I made... well... first I made a tomato and cheese grilled sandwich for lunch. This is one of Mom's latest obsessions. While eating this delectable item, I gathered the ingredients for cookies. (It was sanitary, I assure you.) I made cookies with my American semi-sweet chocolate chips, but I used a British recipe. They're way sweeter than I desired, but were really-really-ridiculously-good-tasting right out of the oven.

I then made chicken and leek pie, following a Marks & Spencer recipe. (M&S is a store here.) This smelled way better than it tasted, but it isn't so bad. I'm not so in love with leeks that I want that many in one dish. So I didn't do a horrible job, I'm just not particularly fond of it. I made enough to eat four times, so I hope it will remain "not so bad" by the end of the week.

My one culinary disaster (since coming here, anyway) was an attempt at a pic pac type sauce like Carrabba's has. Eh.... much too much garlic because I used these garlic flake things I had never used before and apparently didn't know how to use. I couldn't use olive oil because it was a fast day, and I put in onions which was a bad idea. I had to throw it out because I couldn't choke it down. I ate plain pasta that night because I didn't have anything else without meat or dairy... or olive oil. I'm never again experimenting on a fast day without a good backup plan.

One of these days I'll cook like my mom. I'll have to move back home if don't learn because I'm not okay with eating subpar food for the rest of my life.

In other slightly related news, I did eat haggis and I did enjoy it to my great surprise. I just didn't think about what was in it.

-Kavod-

No comments: