A Week

Where to start? Of the million subjects that I could write about and which you would probably find interesting, I'm not sure which to choose: Granite in sunlight? British TV? Studenthood? The crosswalk man? Currency?

Well, I left off when I was trying to sleep and experiencing miserable jet lag, so I'll just keep going with the story and see where it goes. I'm so glad the jet lag is over. I could hardly function the next day and I had to register, talk to my advisor, and buy a mobile phone.

On Wednesday Christine (my flatmate) accompanied me to the university, and helped me find the main office. (I have to try not to be dependent on her, but she's so very helpful.) And.... well... long story short, I ended up walking to the university twice -- once by myself in pouring rain. After my meetings, I waited 15 minutes in the rain for a bus to take me down to the shopping center so I could buy a phone, then I paid twice because the driver misunderstood where I wanted to stop. Finally at the center, I bought the worst phone I could possibly get and a dumb plan because I was too tired when making the decision. Then I walked back home... still in the pouring rain. But I still love Aberdeen.

On Thursday the granite buildings sparkled in the sun, because that's what they do when it's not cloudy. It's lovely. I had my first class, Irish and Scottish Romanticism, in the most beautiful building, on the most beautiful street in the city. The class is so small that we meet in the professor's office around his little table. This will definitely be my favourite. (Not just my favorite.)

Then I went Scottish Country dancing (like Contra) with my flatmate and her friends. And then to a pub where I did not drink any alcohol. That was probably a wise decision. A good time was had by all.

Friday was my birthday and I just read Oliver Twist and my many Facebook messages. :) Then my flatmate came home and we watched... something. We've been watching "Real Hustlers," a reality show revealing various scams that really take people in. It's hilarious. And I saw a Poirot episode which was very fun. It's an Agatha Christie detective show that's been on since 1989! I love watching British commercials too just because they're different.

Here's one I've seen a few times now:




So anyways... I went to market (lots of stands with good things to eat, wear, and/or display from all over Europe) on Saturday, met Christine's parents who came up to set up some shelves in her room and read Oliver Twist. Sunday I was going to go to church, but took a wrong turn and ended up just walking for a while before I came back and finished the aforementioned novel.

Monday I had my slightly more intimidating class and found out I have a presentation in two weeks on Middlemarch for which I don't even have the book. Immediately after that class, I went to the library and made some notes on a Middlemarch critical article so I could walk home feeling a bit better about life.

Yes, I'm starting to think in a Scottish accent sometimes and I'm picking up little phrases like "Is tomorrow meant to be fine?" But I was holed up in my flat almost all day today until late this afternoon when I went down to a convenience store to find freezer bags so the meat I bought wouldn't go bad. When I asked the clerk if there were any such things to be found, I was actually surprised to hear his accent in response. I guess I forgot for a wee second where I was.

And I have purchased the current season of Castle on iTunes. So all is well.

-Kavod-

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh good, I'm glad Castle got taken care of :)

And the best part of that commercial was that the girl had her sleeves rolled up and was kinda grungy looking! Yay for real people! :)

HMA said...

So good to hear how you're liking Scotland! I'm excited for you to be there--to be challenged, stretched, invigorated, deepened through living in a foreign land. (One that sounds beautiful, too!)

Courtney Patrice said...

Yeah, she just seems normal. I noticed that too, Sarah.

Roomie! Thanks. It is beautiful.